Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Atomistic spin visualisation

Hi,

I am using atomistic spin simulation software, VAMPIRE, to model magnetic materials. The software is able to give me atomic positioning, and spin direction along with a colour gradient.

Would it be relatively simple to set up a data style for OVITO which included this information and visualised the spin vectors as arrows in their corresponding atomic position, coloured according to the gradient? Please see the attached files for an idea of what I mean, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Connor

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hi Connor,

yes, visualizing that should be straightfoward. I would recommend you to use the "xyz" file format https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYZ_file_format
or even better the  "extended-xyz" file format for your data. You can import the spin vectors as "forces" and the gradient as an additional particle property of a name of your choice. To color the spins, you can add Color coding modifiers to your pipeline and apply them to both the Particles and the vectors.

As an example for the extended-xyz file format, the following three lines

Lattice="1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0" Properties=species:S:1:pos:R:3:force:R:3:my_property:R:1
H 0.5 0.5 0.5 -1 -1 -1 0.7

will give me the output shown in the screenshot. Let me know if that works for you.

-Constanze

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hi Constanze,

Sorry this is such an incredibly late response, I've only just come to use it, but this has worked very well for me!

Thank you very much.

-Connor

Hi Connor,

that's great to hear 🙂