Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Can't download and open .dmg disk image file on Mac

I tried to downloaded .dmg disk image file from the link below on my Mac, but failed (see uploaded screenshot 1).

https://www.ovito.org/download-macos/

Then I successfully downloaded .dmg file on a PC and transfer it to my Mac. But the file can't be opened (Reason: image not recognized. See uploaded screenshot 2).

I've tried on other Macs, but it didn't work. It seems this is a general problem.

Thank you.

Uploaded files:
  • Screen-Shot-1.png
  • Screen-Shot-2.png

Hi,

I've checked the download myself this morning and everything seems to be fine. The file must have somehow gotten corrupted during the transfer to your computer. I've heard from another user, who had a similar download problem, that using a different web browser (e.g. Firefox or Chrome) for downloading Ovito solved the problem.

You can verify the integrity of the downloaded .dmg file by running the 'md5' tool from the macOS terminal to compute the MD5 fingerprint value for the file. Here is how the fingerprint should look like:

$ md5 ovito-3.0.0-dev507-macos.dmg

MD5 (ovito-3.0.0-dev507-macos.dmg) = cdf360bf256d088e14dc3d50c4f5a321

Quote from Alexander Stukowski on September 23, 2019, 11:13 am

Hi,

I've checked the download myself this morning and everything seems to be fine. The file must have somehow gotten corrupted during the transfer to your computer. I've heard from another user, who had a similar download problem, that using a different web browser (e.g. Firefox or Chrome) for downloading Ovito solved the problem.

You can verify the integrity of the downloaded .dmg file by running the 'md5' tool from the macOS terminal to compute the MD5 fingerprint value for the file. Here is how the fingerprint should look like:

MD5 (ovito-3.0.0-dev507-macos.dmg) = cdf360bf256d088e14dc3d50c4f5a321

I tried using different web browsers and even different computers, the problem still remained.

I've checked the MD5 fingerprint value and it is:

MD5 (ovito-3.0.0-dev507-macos.dmg) = 5216660969483fb960bfee8f35ef7c22

I don't know why I got the different file.

This is quite strange. I was expecting that the download completes successfully with a web browser other than Safari. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Let's see if other users report similar problems.

In the meantime, I am going to send you a private email with an alternative download link.

Thank you very much. I have successfully downloaded and installed OVITO via your link.

And thanks for bringing us OVITO.

I'm facing the same problem. Safari cannot complete downloading. The file name remains as "ovito-3.0.0-dev507-macos.dmg.download." Chrome can finish downloading, but I got the same message shown by the above screenshot. (I experienced the same with different version a few weeks ago.)

Thanks for letting me know that you are experiencing the same download problem. I am trying to find out whether the origin is a bad interplay of the Safari browser, the download management component on our web server and perhaps a slow connection to our server in Germany.

To rule out the download management component as a possible cause, I would like to ask you both to download the Ovito package through the following download link:

https://dxa.ovito.org/ovito-3.0.0-dev507-macos.dmg

It is a direct download link (only online for a limited period) to a copy of the same .dmg file. Thus, logging in on our ovito.org website will not be necessary to access it. The file will directly be delivered by the web server. Please let me know if the download via Safari is more successful in this case. Thank you.

-Alex

The download via Safari is indeed successful through your new link.

The link works for my environment as well. Thank you very much!

The download behaviors via Safari and via Chrome are slightly different, but I think both failed to complete downloading.

Same problem on my Mac. The direct link worked well.