Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

GUI version not working properly in cluster.

Hello Alex,

I installed Ovito in my cluster and it is working. But the problem is the display window is blank. I can not visualize anything.

Before launching Ovito I get an error msg: "Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported" and then it starts.

See the attached screenshot.

Please suggest something that I'm missing.

Thank you

Best

Prash

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-from-2020-10-06-11-24-14.png

Hi,

The black viewports suggest that the OpenGL rendering isn't working properly in this environment for some reason.

The messages you see in the terminal window are probably unrelated to the actual problem and can safely be ignored. I'm not entirely sure though about the message "Qt: Session management error". I haven't seen that one before. You can check it by running ovito using the --noviewports command line argument. OVITO will then no longer initialize the OpenGL display on startup, and if the error messages in the terminal stay the same, we know that they are not related to the display problem. Another solution for the session management error I have seen in online forums is to clear the SESSION_MANAGER environment variable using the terminal command unset SESSION_MANAGER  prior to running the Qt-based application.

But the question of why OVITO doesn't show anything in the OpenGL viewports remains. Can you please first check if other OpenGL-based applications work correctly in this environment? Perhaps ParaView or some other scientific visualization software is available for testing.

-Alex

Additionally, please select "OpenGL information" from the Help menu of OVITO and post the displayed system information here. Thanks.

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the reply and your time.

Here is OpenGL information form help:

======= System info =======
Date: Tue Oct 6 16:02:42 2020
Application: Ovito 3.0.0-dev628
uname output: 3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 31 23:36:51 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
LSB output: CentOS "CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)" 7.8.2003
Architecture: 64 bit
Floating-point size: 64 bit
Qt version: 5.12.6
Command line: ovito
======= OpenGL info =======
Version: 2.1
Profile: none
Alpha: 0
Vendor: VMware, Inc.
Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)
Version string: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.4
Swap behavior: other
Depth buffer size: 24
Stencil buffer size: 8
Shading language: 1.20
Geometry shaders supported: no
Using deprecated functions: yes
Using point sprites: yes
Using geometry shaders: no
Context sharing enabled: yes

In attach screenshots of all the possible tests.

1. Running Ovito with --noviewports ----> (as you said error messages in the terminal stay the same meaning not related).
  2. Running Ovito after unset SESSION_MANAGER ---> doesn't change anything.
  3. Running a similar type of software which uses OpenGL -----> ParaView ( It's working)
  4. Information on OpenGL from help.

Let me know if needed some more information.

Thank you

Best

Prash

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-from-2020-10-06-15-54-01.png
  • Screenshot-from-2020-10-06-15-55-33.png
  • Screenshot-from-2020-10-06-16-00-35.png
  • Screenshot-from-2020-10-06-16-04-34.png

Thanks for providing the requested information.

I don't have a real idea yet what this issue is. The fact that you are running OVITO 3.0.0-dev628 suggests that is not a new program installation. If it is an older installation, did it use to work in the past? If so, what might have changed between then and now?

In general, it would be helpful to know a bit more about the system environment you are working in. The screenshot suggests that you work through a remote desktop connection (TigerVNC). The OpenGL system information indicates that a software-only graphics driver is active on the remote machine (Vendor: VMware, Inc. / Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)). Can you confirm that this is the way it is supposed to be? Is there no 3d graphics hardware installed in the remote machine?

Since form the starting, it was like this but I used ovitos to extract the CNA, DXA, Surface Mesh data. At that time I used the command prompt.

I installed OVITO 3.0.0-dev628 in my IT4Innovations cluster machine. Because my structure file was really big and for doing DXA analysis it was getting crashed due to memory problems.

But now I need to create a movie and a picture of that Dislocation so I used TigerVNC to connect to my remote machine to run the ovito.

VNC documentation for it4i cluster : https://docs.it4i.cz/general/accessing-the-clusters/graphical-user-interface/vnc/

Thank you

I see.

Which of the different it4i clusters are you currently working on? And have you considered using one of the special visualization nodes to run OVITO?

https://docs.it4i.cz/barbora/visualization/

These nodes seem to provide proper OpenGL graphics hardware from Nvidia, which may be necessary to get the OVITO GUI to work.

For the moment I tried in Salomon.

But yes I'll try in Barbora and update you.

Thank you so much.

Hello Alex,

It's working perfectly now in Salomon and Barbora both.

Thank you so much 🙂

Best

Prash

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-from-2020-10-07-05-12-42.png