Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Measure angles and distances between atoms

Dear Ovito Team and Community,

First i would like to thank you for developing this useful software which has helped me a lot with my own research!

I started using ovito2 and I liked the feature that it was very easy to get the distances and the angle between the atoms which are two very essential properties for many applications in solid but also molecular systems. I am sure that there is a way to get these properties in the latest version 3 as well. Is there an easy way that I have mistakenly overseen? If that is not the case than I would like to ask you if you could consider implementing a fast and intuitive way of doing so.

Best regards and than you for considering my request,

Jan

Dear Jan,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I'm glad to hear that Ovito works well for you.

Functions for measuring interatomic distances and angles are now found in the new Data Inspector panel of Ovito 3. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Alex

Dear Ovito Team,

Is there a way to export this data (atomic distances and angles) to a file?

Thanks

Hashan

Hi Hashan,

for that you would rather use the Create Bonds modifier in conjunction with the Bond analysis modifier, see https://www.ovito.org/docs/current/particles.modifiers.bond_analysis.php. This modifier stores the bond angle and bond length distribution as a so-called data table.

You can export the contents of a data table to a text file using OVITO's file export function. Exporting the graphical representation of the data table as plot or chart to a graphics file works in the same way.

-Constanze