Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

migrate license

This may be of general interest.

Suppose I need to change my linux distribution where I have installed a Ovito Pro license. What are the folders I need to keep in order to maintain the activation ID after the upgrade?

Thank you for the help.

Otello

Hi Otello,

You can keep the folder ~/.config/Ovito, but it shouldn't be necessary. You can simply deactivate the installation from within your ovito.org online account and then reenter the license key when you start up OVITO Pro again.

-Constanze

Hi Otello,

I just want to add that preserving the ~/.config/Ovito/ folder will probably not help if you perform a complete reinstall of the Linux distribution (not an upgrade). That's because the copy protection system of OVITO Pro will think that you are trying to run the software on a different computer and will regard the existing entitlement record as invalid. In this case it will require you to newly activate OVITO Pro.

As Constanze mentioned, this is generally not a problem, because you can perform as many new activations as you want - as long as you first delete the old installations in our license web interface.

In any case, preserving the ~/.config/Ovito/ folder is a good idea, because on Linux/macOS platforms it also contains your application settings, preferences and default parameters for OVITO.

-Alex

Dear all,

thanks for the clarification, that's handy. I was thinking to preserve my local ~/.ssh folder, plus the /etc/ss* folders, as this is usually what I do to maintain the network identity of the machine.

Best,

Otello 🙂

新的OVITO微信频道!
New for our users in China: OVITO on WeChat 

Official OVITO WeChat channel operated by Foshan Diesi Technology Co., Ltd.