Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

OVITO crashes in a few seconds after launch

Hi,

I'm trying to use OVITO, but it freezes after launch and crashes in a few seconds. Event viewer shows errors like this:

Faulting application name: ovito.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61a8e2a4
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process id: 0x13a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d81ffbd0ff205f
Faulting application path: C:\path\to\ovito.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: e5081fff-4ab5-45c6-a60a-e904ca9f3db6
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I tried both the installer and portable version (3.6.0 basic downloaded from the website) but no luck. I'm using Win10 21H2 (19044.1466, LTSC branch) on a Surface Pro 6 (i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, UHD620). Also the old version (OVITO 2.9.0) somehow works.

Hi,

Program crashes like this, right after application startup, often are related to the graphics driver. OVITO uses the OpenGL interface to render the interactive 3d viewports using GPU acceleration.

You can tell OVITO not to initialize any interactive viewport windows by specifying the command line option --noviewports:

C:\path\to\ovito.exe --noviewports

The program won't be usable without viewports, but at least this test will show us whether the program crash is related to OpenGL and the graphics driver - or not. Right now it's not clear what is causing this issue. OVITO 3.6.0 has been out for a while now, and other Windows users have not reported any problems of this kind.

-Alex

Thanks for your reply! With --noviewports OVITO launches successfully, and it's indeed related to the graphics driver — after reinstalling Intel graphics driver the problem is fixed.

I am glad I could help.

新的OVITO微信频道!
New for our users in China: OVITO on WeChat 

Official OVITO WeChat channel operated by Foshan Diesi Technology Co., Ltd.