Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

use variable in modifier

Dear all,

i have a simple script to cut a cylindrical shape   from my  simulation box:

pipe = import_file('my_file')
pipe.modifiers.append(ExpressionSelectionModifier(expression = 'sqrt((Position.X-5)*(Position.X-5)+(Position.Y-4)*(Position.Y-4))>10'))
pipe.modifiers.append(DeleteSelectedModifier())
data = pipe.compute()

the code above selects a cylinder with z-axis, with the center at (x=5.y=4) and the radius r=10.

but what if I need many cylinders with random coordinates (for the center of the cylinder ) e.g., x and y to be variables that I can assign random values.

kind regards,

vardan.

Please take a look at the documentation of the ExpressionSelectionModifier.expressions field. This part of the documentation has recently been expanded to explain how Python variables can be incorporated into the expression.

-Alex

Dear Alex

thanks,

regards,

vardan.

Dear Vardan,

Alternatively you can use my PythonScriptModifier that constructs a cylinder connecting two coordinates with a given radius. It can be called repeatedly with the "add_to_selection" flag to cut multiple cylinders from a given sample.

from ovito.data import *
from ovito.modifiers import ExpressionSelectionModifier

def modify(frame: int, data: DataCollection, radius=2.0, p1=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0),
           p2=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0), add_to_selection=True):
    x1, y1, z1 = p1
    x2, y2, z2 = p2
    xn, yn, zn = x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1

denom = (x2-x1)**2+(y2-y1)**2+(z2-z1)**2
    enum1 = f'((Position.Y-{y1})*(Position.Z-{z2})-(Position.Z-{z1})*(Position.Y-{y2}))^2'
    enum2 = f'((Position.Z-{z1})*(Position.X-{x2})-(Position.X-{x1})*(Position.Z-{z2}))^2'
    enum3 = f'((Position.X-{x1})*(Position.Y-{y2})-(Position.Y-{y1})*(Position.X-{x2}))^2'

cylinder = f'({enum1}+{enum2}+{enum3})/({denom})<={3*radius**2}'
    base = f'{xn}*(Position.X-{x1})+{yn}*(Position.Y-{y1})+{zn}*(Position.Z-{z1}) > 0'
    top = f'{xn}*(Position.X-{x2})+{yn}*(Position.Y-{y2})+{zn}*(Position.Z-{z2}) < 0'

if add_to_selection and 'Selection' in data.particles.keys():
        expr = f'(Selection==1) || ({cylinder} && {base} && {top})'
    else:
        expr = f'{cylinder} && {base} && {top}'
    data.apply(ExpressionSelectionModifier(expression=expr))

This and other useful modifiers can be found on my github page: https://github.com/nnn911/OVITO_python_modifier_db

-Daniel

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-from-2022-05-10-14-15-22.png

Dear Daniel

thanks

regards,

vardan.

新的OVITO微信频道!
New for our users in China: OVITO on WeChat 

Official OVITO WeChat channel operated by Foshan Diesi Technology Co., Ltd.